Trelleborg Sealing Solutions launches its new Turcon® Varilip® PDR range. The optimum solution for high-speed rotating applications, the range has exceptional low-friction characteristics, reducing torque. This in turn cuts power consumption, which can contribute to lower equipment running costs and ultimately decreased energy bills.
Turcon® Varilip® PDR (Performance, Durability, Reliability) rotary shaft seals are constructed from one or multiple Turcon® PTFE based sealing elements which are mechanically retained in a precision machined metal body. The metal body gives a robust static seal against the housing, preventing thermal cycling, while the Turcon® sealing element provides positive dynamic sealing on the shaft, leading to excellent performance at high rotary speeds. Characterized by low friction and stick-slip-free running, the seal reduces temperature generation, permits higher peripheral speeds and lowers power consumption. This results in a long-service life, with maximized mean time between planned maintenance and greater productivity.
“Currently there is a big push by industry in general to reduce power consumption and our carbon footprint,” says Dave Cummings, Product Manager for Trelleborg Sealing Solutions Broomfield, US, one location where Turcon® Varilip® PDR is manufactured. “Apart from showing responsibility for the environment, it has the benefit of lowering ever-increasing energy bills.”
Taking a specific example from the semiconductor sector, tests show that Turcon® Varilip® PDR requires only around 50 percent of the torque of a radial oil seal when running in Fomblin® oil, commonly used in vacuum pumps. This meets designers’ objectives for lower power consumption, a critical success factor in this type of equipment.
Based on the substantial experience of Trelleborg Sealing Solutions in supply of custom-designed metal-bodied rotary shaft seals, the new range offers customers a wide choice of standard parts in various corrosion-resistant materials and lip geometries. These will meet the requirements of virtually any rotating applications in numerous industries including chemical processing, oil & gas, semiconductor, automotive, motor sport, marine, machine tools and power transmission. As no specific tooling is needed in manufacturing, they prove a very cost-effective option.
Benefits of Turcon® Varilip® PDR include:
Turcon® PTFE based sealing lip
- Low-friction to facilitate reduced power loss and friction-induced heat
- Unique self-lubricating hydrodynamic feature further reduces friction
- Advanced geometries engineered to give excellent performance in almost every high-speed rotary situation
- Multiple lip configurations to address most sealing needs
- Material compatible with virtually all media
- Available in FDA-compliant grades
- Durability in harsh environments
- Effective sealing on static outer diameter
- Resistance to thermal cycling
- Choice of high-quality metals including stainless steel, aluminum and other specialized metals such as Hastelloy® or Titanium
- High corrosion-resistance
- Superior precision-machined finish for improved sealing on the static interface
Overall Turcon® Varilip® PDR seal
- Contributes to a reduction in power consumption of equipment
- High speed capability up to 100 meters per second / 19,680 feet per minute
- Wide operating temperature range from -60° to 200°C/ -76° to 392°F
- Options available for dry-running applications and for soft shafts
- Retrofits in radial oil seal grooves
- Unlimited shelf life with no special storage requirements
The new Turcon® Varilip® PDR is backed up with extensive test data that allows Trelleborg Sealing Solutions to recommend the best option for specific operating parameters. If required, testing tailored to an individual application can be undertaken, including Finite Element Analysis.